Storytelling is a skill that not many people have. It is one thing to have a good story and another to convey it concisely. If you fail to do this, your audience will lose interest.
One modern way to tell stories is through animated videos. To make compelling short movies, you need the best software. This post looks at 20 animation creators to make short movies.
Animation Creator #1: Doratoon
Doratoon is an incredible animation creator with tons of attractive and creative elements. The software makes creating animated videos seamless and can help you create awesome short animated videos for any purpose. It is a powerful tool with lots of excellent features, including:
- Thousands of 2D and 3D animated images, backgrounds and pre-animated templates
- Over a thousand animated characters with over 8000 actions and facial expressions
- Millions of animated video clips and stock photos
- Thousands of stock props
- Artificial Intelligence Drawing and Dubbing
How to Use Doratoon
Doratoon is easy to use, and you can make movies or animated videos with this 2D animation software in four steps:
Step 1: Sign up for a free account with Doratoon.
Step 2: Choose a customizable animated template.
Step 3: Use the editing tool to edit and align the template with your story.
Step 4: Preview and download your short video.
Animation Creator #2: Visme
This is a cloud-based design software tool for creating animated images, videos, presentations, banners, ads, and infographics. It is feature-rich with several interactive elements. With Visme, you can make eye-catching short videos.
The platform offers thousands of templates, customizable pre-animated characters, free stock videos and photos, and more. Its features include:
- An intuitive and user-friendly drag-and-drop editing tool
- Customizable animated assets
- Advanced custom animation elements
Animation Creator #3: Adobe Character Animator
Adobe Character Animator allows you to create live animations of 2D characters. You can make a character in Photoshop or Illustrator and import it into this tool to animate it. You can infuse your facial movements using your webcam. Here are some of its features:
- Integration with Illustrator and Photoshop
- Seamless movement of character’s limbs with the mouse
- Compatible with Creative Cloud Market
Animation Creator #4: VistaCreate
VistaCreate comes with a library of pre-animated templates and pre-animated characters and objects. Users can create animated square videos, Facebook covers, and animated ads without design experience or skills.
The software lets you combine animated GIFs and videos with images to create eye-catching videos. If you are looking for how to make a cartoon, this tool is what you need. Features of VistaCreate include:
- Thousands of pre-animated templates
- Over 50 million stock photos
- A huge library of animated videos, graphics, and fonts
Animation Creator #5: Blender
This is an open-source editing tool that gives total design control to users. It offers advanced programming features and a command line for creating, modeling, and rendering 3D animation. Blender is a powerful video editing tool that works with different operating systems. Its features include:
- Advanced rigging and animation tools
- Video editing and VFX with masking, compositing, and motion tracking
- 3D drawing and editing
Animation Creator #6: PosterMyWall
PosterMyWall is an easy-to-use, straightforward animation software tool. It does not require creating an account to edit an animation template. It lets you create animated graphics, videos, and promotional posters with its library of stock animated videos and templates. Some of its features include:
- A collection of animated video templates
- A library of stock animated videos
- Videos downloadable in 4K and Full HD quality
Animation Creator #7: Animatron Studio
This is another feature-rich animation software tool with a library of pre-animated templates and design elements. You can create HTL5 banners, ads, and explainer videos with Animatron Studio.
The software offers limitless customizability options. If you are looking for how to make animated short films with extensive tools, Animatron Studio is the tool for you. Its features include:
- A collection of pre-animated characters and objects
- Easy to import, edit, and place your graphics
- Real-time collaboration with built-in voiceover features
Animation Creator #8: PixTeller
This is a popular tool used for business and personal video making. It is a simple tool that delivers excellent results with no frills or paparazzi. PixTeller lets you create short animated movies using its frame-by-frame motions.
You can edit the attributes in each frame, such as the opacity, rotation, and colors. Here are some of its features:
- Customizable frame-by-frame timeline
- Hundreds of pre-animated templates
- Over 100,000 shapes and drawing styles
Animation Creator #9: Biteable
Biteable is an ideal tool for creating short animated videos for social media, ads, and promotions. The platform allows you to share your animated videos directly on any platform.
You can select from the tons of premade animated templates and thousands of stock scenes and footage clips to make your animated video. Some features of Biteable are:
- Hundreds of premade video templates
- Thousands of stock animations and footage clips
- A library of music and sound effects
Animation Creator #10: Canva
Here is another online video maker that recently introduced animation features into its platform. Canva lets you transform your graphic designs into animated videos or GIFs. It offers six animation styles that you can explore. The features of the tool include:
- Thousands of customizable animated templates
- Six animation styles
- Millions of paid and free assets, including icons, photos, and others
Animation Creator #11: Animaker
This is a good animation creator for educators and businesses. It comes with a collection of pre-animated templates and elements, such as characters, gestures, and illustrations. Animaker is effective for creating interactive videos, presentations, and whiteboard animation. Some of its features are:
- Pro-level animation features
- A library of animated assets and templates
- Over 200 music tracks and sound effects
Animation Creator #12: Easil
Easil is a web-based animation tool that lets you create animated GIFs and videos. You need to duplicate image frames and edit each frame to make a short video. Although it involves more work, Easil is a good animation tool that delivers excellent work. Its features include:
- Thousands of customizable templates across different categories
- Creative text effects, such as masks and drop shadow
- Brand kit feature for brand colors and logos
Animation Creator #13: Powtoon
This is an online animation maker that allows you to create interactive animated videos using premade graphic assets and characters. It is a powerful tool for making whiteboard animations, explainer videos, and presentations. Some of its features include:
- A library of premade templates
- Advanced character customization and animation controls
- Thousands of animated characters and built-in graphics
Animation Creator #14: Clip Studio Paint
Clip Studio Paint lets you create general illustrations, animated comics, and 2D animation. It is an all-inclusive tool compatible with different operating systems, including Windows, macOS, Chrome, and others.
Although its user interface is a bit confusing, you will find Clip Studio Paint a great tool when you understand its interface. Its features include:
- 3D references for precise compositions
- Adjustable pen pressure for recreating the natural lines of pen and paper
- Drawing frames in-between keyframes
Animation Creator #15: Synfig Studio
This is a more robust software tool compared to free and open-source animation tools. It offers advanced controls to help users create top-quality animation fast. It uses digital tweening and sprites to speed up the animation system and process.
Synfig Studio offers several advanced features to make creating animations fun and rewarding:
- Over 50 layers and filters
- Vector animation with seamless Lottie export
- Skeleton Distortion layer for complex deformation
Animation Creator #16: Pencil2D
This is another open-source animation tool that allows users to create 2D animated videos and characters.
It offers traditional animation workflows and vector drawing tools, making it a good choice for people looking for the traditional feel of pen on paper. It works with all well-known platforms, such as macOS, Windows, and Linux. Here are some of its features:
- Easy-to-use user interface
- Layer panel for the camera, sound, vector, and bitmap layers
- Versatile drawing tools
Animation Creator #17: KeyShot
KeyShot is an advanced, easy-to-use animation software tool that lets you create scientifically precise, photorealistic animations. It is known for its top-quality 2D and 3D animations.
KeyShot supports over 30 types of rendering 3D animation. It also comes with texture mapping, labeling, and physical lighting. Its features include:
- Over 750 premade animated templates
- Real-time 3D image rendering
- Still image animations, mobile content, and interactive web content
Animation Creator #18: CelAction2D
This is a powerful animation software tool offering the quality of hand-crafted drawings in animation. CelAction2D has four editions – Studio, Educational, Professional, and Animator, making it a tool for everyone. Some of its features include:
- Over 60 special effects
- Compatible with 3D CGI models
- Advanced Inverse Kinematic Tool
Animation Creator #19: Procreate
Here is another intuitive and powerful software tool for creating short movies. It uses frame-by-frame techniques and gives users the benefits of digital design while delivering the experience of paint on paper and pens on paper. Its features include:
- ColorDrop feature
- Gaussian, motion, and perspective blurring
- Extra special effect
Animation Creator #20: MotionBuilder
This is a 3D character animation software tool that works perfectly for virtual cinematography. Users can also use it for traditional keyframe animation and motion capture.
MotionBuilder lets you capture, playback, and edit characters in your movies. It also allows you to manipulate data on motion capture. Its features include:
- A library of animated characters
- Enables the creation of realistic movements of characters
- Compatible with other animation applications, such as 3Ds Max and Maya
Choosing the best animation creator to make short movies can be daunting, especially for beginners. But, if you are looking for how to make an animated movie with an easy-to-use tool for beginners, we highly recommend Doratoon. You can create marketing videos, GIFs, animated graphs and charts, and explainer videos with this tool.