Clogged drains are frustrating issues that every homeowner has to face. Interestingly, drain clogs are the type of plumbing issue that happens very often. They are smelly, they are nasty, they are disturbing and most of all they can be very expensive if not dealt with on time.
Plumbers now use very high-tech techniques like CCTV drain inspection to figure out the issues. However, we know that calling a plumber is another hassle that we try to avoid at any cost. Putting your hands on the toxic, chemical drain cleaners available in the market is also not a good idea. The harsh chemicals used in these cleaners can cause harm to the pipes and drains. That is why cleaners are not a safe option for drain cleaning. We have gathered a list of homemade drain cleaners for you that are not only reliable but easy and inexpensive as well.
Homemade Drain Cleaners
DIY drain cleaners are a very inexpensive and eco-friendly way to deal with drain clogs and blockages. They are not only easy to make and use but also very easy on your drains and pipes. They pose no harm to the pipes which is why it is suggested that you should try these homemade cleaners first before buying a chemical cleaner or making a call to the plumber. A list of homemade drain cleaners is given below for your ease and convenience.
1. Baking Soda and Vinegar
Baking soda is also known as sodium bicarbonate. It is a very common element found in nearly every kitchen. It is mostly used for cleaning purposes. However, it is also very effective to get rid of clogged or blocked drains. Baking soda is mixed with vinegar to create a chemical reaction. This cleaner is very effective to clear any debris or buildup inside the pipes. Distilled white vinegar is used in this homemade drain cleaner. Follow the below steps to make and use this cleaner.
- First clear all the water from the sink or any water pooling around the drain to be cleaned.
- Now remove the drain cover or stopper.
- Take 1 cup of baking soda and pour it inside the drain.
- Wait for a few minutes to let the soda reach the point of obstruction and settle.
- Now take 1 cup of distilled white vinegar and pour it into the drain.
- You will start hearing frizz sounds from the drain. This happens because baking soda and vinegar react when mixed with each other.
- Let the mixture rest inside for about an hour.
- Now pour hot water into the drain to clear the debris and clog remains.
- Repeat the process for tough clogs.
2. Baking Soda, Cream of Tartar, and Salt
Another very effective homemade drain cleaner can be made by mixing three very common elements found in households or you can easily buy it from the local grocery stores. These three items are baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar. The cream of tartar is made from tartaric acid. It is commonly used in baking but it is also a very effective cleaner. Let’s go through the steps of how to use this drain cleaner.
- First take a jar.
- Add two cups of baking soda to the jar.
- Add 1/4 cup cream of tartar to the jar.
- Add ½ cup of salt to it.
- Now close the jar and shake it well to mix the ingredients properly.
- Your homemade drain cleaning mixture is ready.
- Now first remove the drain cover of the blocked drain.
- Pour down 2 cups of hot water into the drain to clear anything left behind.
3. Dishwashing Soap/ Liquid and Hot Water
Kitchen sink drains mostly clog due to grease and oil etc. Now think about what you do to clean your plates etc filled with grease. You use dish wash soap or liquid to clean your utensils. The same technique applies to the grease or oil that has built up inside the drain. You can use liquid dish wash or soap to clean the mess inside the drain. Follow the below steps for this method.
- Take a dish wash liquid.
- Take a pan and pour some water into it.
- Let the water boil for some.
- When the water starts boiling, pour two tablespoons of liquid dish wash into the boiling water and mix it well with a spoon until a soapy liquid is formed.
- Now remove the drain cleaner first.
- Pour down the soapy liquid solution into the drain and let it rest for some time.
- After half an hour pours hot water again to clear the drain properly.
4. Borax, Vinegar, and Salt
Borax is also known as hydrated borate of sodium. It is a very good cleaner. It is also found in many other products like cosmetics, lotions, moisturizers, toothpaste, mouthwash, etc. However, it has also got cleaning properties. That is why; you can also use it to make a DIY cleaner for your drains. It is easily available at local grocery stores. You can mix borax with salt and vinegar to form a cleaning solution. Perform the following steps.
- Take ¼ cup vinegar.
- Take ¼ cup of borax.
- Take ½ cup salt.
- Add all these ingredients to a pot and mix well with the help of a spoon or wooden spatula.
- Now pour down this mixture into the drain.
- Pour hot water into the drain after pouring down the mixture.
- Now let this mixture rest inside for about an hour.
- Rinse with lots of tap water.
Final Words The above-mentioned homemade cleaners are proven to be very effective for domestic commercial drain cleaning and blockage removal. However, if none of these work, this means now it is time to call the plumber.